Saturday, October 20, 2012

A Tour of Our Haitian Home

Bienvenu, tout moun!  Welcome, everyone!  Sorry it took so long to get these pictures up, but it took awhile to get all of them taken and uploaded.  It's funny -- our internet is through a cell phone signal and since it rains/storms up here in the mountains every evening, the internet is not always working.  I never thought internet could be dependent on the weather!  Ha. 

We've been working on our home little by little over the past several weeks as we had opportunity.  It's coming together pretty well.  Some of the stuff we have in here is ours that we sent from America, other stuff is the mission's, and we purchased some of it when we got here.  Household items here are many times more expensive here than in the States, so we haven't really bought a lot of Haitian household goods since we arrived.  We do most of our shopping through Amazon Prime, so we can get American prices on things we need.  We are so thankful for how the Lord has provided for us as we have settled in here in Haiti.



Welcome to the Bidwell house!  Our church back in the states recently had a ladies' Pinterest night, so I decided to join in.
Just because you live in Haiti doesn't mean you can't pack crafts in your suitcase and make a Pinterest wreath!

Our living room.  All of our floors are concrete and so this rug is our favorite thing in the house!

Another shot of the living room.  The homeschool room is the room in the background.

In honor of Honest October, I thought I'd post a picture of my kitchen with a ton of dirty dishes on the counter.
This is what the kitchen looks like all of the time, usually even messier though.  :)

Another shot of the kitchen.  That's our source of clean, healthy water there in the background.
Never ever ever ever drink out of the tap here!

The kids are sharing a room, which has been an adventure!  We were thankful that BHM already
 had these bunk beds so we didn't have to buy any.

Another shot of the kids' room.  One of the tubs we packed the container with doubles as a great toy box.  Thankfully, the dresser was already here, too.  The jungley art over the dresser is a Haitian piece that we haggled for at the market.  Kilee picked it out and Scott sealed the deal.

 
This is mine and Scott's room. 

Thankfully we were able to pack some vinyl wall scriptures in our suitcase to use so that our walls would not be so bare.
This one is a great one to see first thing in the morning!  The basket under it is a handwoven Haitian hamper that we bought on the side of the road in Port-au-Prince!


   For the life of me, I cannot figure out why this is posting sideways. No matter how many times I rotate it, it just does this. Sorry! This is an extra room. Scott mounted a tabletop to the side of the wall so that I would have a place to sew. I am very excited about this room. :)

Thank you for joining us on this home tour!  Y'all come back now, ya hear?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and welcoming home. I love it!

The Tates said...

It's such a "homey" home with all yourall's special touches. I love the scriptures on the walls-- and your sewing room, Monica(with the Crossings quilt on the wall). The wreath is very pretty. We just can't wait to see it for real--but mainly can't wait to see the people who live there!

Anonymous said...

Asheville Tates: Monica you are such a beautiful spirit. Nancy Claire: Your house is so adorable!

Anonymous said...

I loved the tour! Great photos! I know you are accomplishing good works there. Your home looks very welcoming. Loved the bunk beds and Kilee's choice of artwork. Take care! Anut Deb

Anonymous said...

Hope you guys weathered the storm ok! I will check back for updates!

Michael Jacobs