We had such a great month in the States, it's so hard to believe it's over! It was so nice to be with family and friends and to get to experience the homeland together. We put a ton of pictures of our visit on facebook and we'll upload a few here in a future post. In many ways, the visit home was exactly what we had expected, and in other ways it threw some surprises our way. In an effort to get some thoughts down, I'm just going to start typing some of these bullet-style. Here goes. . .
-It felt so good to walk into the Miami airport and be surrounded by English signs, English speakers and American customs. Although it was really hard to keep from accidentally speaking Creole to every black-skinned person we saw! Awkward.
-Right away, we noticed how quiet one of the airport restaurants was however, and we realized it was because everyone was using their phones. It was strange not to hear more conversation! People just aren't on their phones as much here in Haiti.
-It felt SO good to see our family right when we arrived in Nashville! There's nothing like seeing almost all the people you've been missing at the same time! The weeks we spent together as a family during this trip were so precious to us and we love each of you so much!
-We were blown away by the number of choices available for everything
and everywhere we went!! For example, when we go to the grocery in
Haiti, we can choose apples or oranges. When walking into Kroger in
America, Josiah shouted "Mom! Look at all the different apples!!!"
Restaurant menus were overwhelming. I walked up to the counter and I
was immediately asked, "What would you like?" All I could say while
standing slack-jawed under the gigantic menu hanging above me was,
"Gosh. . .I don't know!"
-I think that we would both agree
that a hot shower is the best thing on earth. Sometimes, I personally
took more than one a day. Sorry in advance for the water bill that is
coming, family!
-We had forgotten how much the kids had
forgotten about American life. Josiah had no concept of the doors that
swing open by themselves when you walk into Wal-Mart. Kilee was
fascinated by commercials. Evidently both kids had forgotten that I,
their mother, ever drove them anywhere in a car before. At different
times I was asked if I "knew what I was doing" and if I should "put both
of my hands on the wheel." Which leads me to my next point. . .
-Driving
was AWESOME! To be able to go wherever you want whenever you want is
something I will never take for granted. We were so thankful to Kristin
Holt and her family for letting us use her Trailblazer for the whole
month! It was a blessing that we were beyond grateful for.
-It was so great to be with our friends wherever we went. So many of
you have so faithfully prayed and given to our mission in Haiti and it
was a joy to reconnect with you while we were there!
-It was
also hard to be back in some of the places we visited because life has
gone on and things have changed. We totally know that life must go on,
but it was strange to be in places and know that we used to live there,
work there, worship there, hang out there, etc. and now we don't.
Friends have made new friends and life continues to progress. This is a
normal feeling, but was tough at times.
-Sadly, we went through a miscarriage (blighted ovum) right when we arrived. We were reminded that God is in control of all situations. Just because you are serving Him with all your heart doesn't mean you are immune to tragic events. In fact, hardships seem to increase as we follow the Lord and share in His sufferings. It was a comfort to be with family and friends during this time. The kids never knew about it and so it was a blessing to just love on them and get to see them enjoy each moment.
-I was also reminded of how amazing the level of healthcare is in America. I know there is a lot that seems to be wrong with the healthcare system in the States, but it could be so much worse. It was such a blessing to have full confidence in the medical staff doing my procedure and to know that they had everything they needed to provide the standard of care that was necessary. What a blessing we so often took for granted.
-Visiting churches was a wonderful experience! Thank you for allowing us to come share about what the Lord is doing through Baptist Haiti Mission and thank you for being a part of it. We enjoyed worshiping and fellowshiping with each of you!! Your support and prayers mean so much.
-As we had anticipated, there were some things about American culture that reminded us about the "blinders" we Americans have with regard to the way most of the rest of the world lives on a daily basis. From the commercials of the men, women and children making their endless Christmas lists to the commercials of a woman griping about her substandard dog food that doesn't have real meat in it . . .we were left with images of Haitian friends that live in abject poverty, struggling to feed their families. It's not that poverty imputes holiness or righteousness, it doesn't at all! People, apart from Christ, are separated from God whether they have much or little. It just gave us a sick feeling in the pit of our stomachs to know that our human desires can be so feeble as to be summed up in a commercial. Lord, grow our desires to be for holiness and intimacy with You!
-It was also a good reminder to know what a blessed nation America is in so many ways. It was amazing to just BE in America and experience it! There's an emotion that sweeps over you when you return to your homeland after being an alien in a foreign land. It's amazing.
-By the end of the third and throughout fourth and final week of our furlough, we began to notice some major changes in our kids. They were becoming really irritable and downright weird. It goes to show that even if your kids live a modest existence in a third world country for over a year and then you bring them back to America where they are showered with gifts, rich foods, attention and live in an inconsistent schedule, while sleeping in different beds every few days, they are going to start to act WAY abnormal. By and large, we gave them grace, although there were a few times we were tempted to scream right back at them and then run away. lol. If we're really honest, they were only acting out the way Scott and I felt on the inside at times. There really can be such a thing as "too much fun" and that's when you have to return to normal life.
-So that leads us to coming back home to Haiti. Were we ready to come back? In some ways no and in other ways, yes. We weren't ready to leave the relationships, the conveniences, the food and the fun, but we were ready to return to a schedule and to the work we know needs to be done here. We missed our friends here in Haiti, too. We're still settling in, but we have put our Christmas decorations up, I've made our lesson plans for school next week, and Scott has returned to work. And of course we've hugged and kissed all of our Haitian friends multiple times! We will continue to choose joy and labor on in what God has called us to do, but we also look forward to the next time we get to head to the homeland!
6 comments:
I like all your observations. I remember once, on a trip home from Haiti, I stayed with some friends. At the end of one of the meals, my friend threw away the leftovers. I boiled inside, thinking about people in Haiti not having enough. I had to remind myself that they had not seen what I had. Sometimes pictures just don't do it.
I remember once showing some slides in church of the iron market in Port. The dirt didn't quite show, and the people couldn't smell it. The pictures just didn't do it justice.
Even though I don't know you all, I do enjoy reading your blog and your posts and photos on Facebook.
Merry Christmas to you all.
Thanks so much for sharing this.
It was great seeing y'all and we'll continue praying for y'all.
We're so sorry to hear about your miscarriage. We know that pain all to well, since Wendy had them early on in our marriage.
We love y'all and we know our Lord is using you in ways that you can't even imagine right now.
Merry Christmas to all of you!!!
Your servant and HIS,
Roger
We enjoyed reading your blog of your time in the states. Sorry for your loss but we are glad your were here. Hope we can see you on your next trip home. Love to all of your family, Lloyd and Ann
I don't know how you've had time to do it, but thank you for writing this wonderful post! Yes, there was a time when I thought that if there was a Berenstain Bears book called "Too Much Christmas" (like "Too Much Birthday"), it would have been a good one to read; not that the kids were behaving badly; just that I knew they were overwhelmed and didn't know how to deal with it. We grandparents take our share of the blame for that. I bet they were glad to get back to their routine and the life to which they have become accustomed. And you could have taken even MORE showers per day if you'd wanted to!I think of youall often when I'm taking a hot shower. We love you all dearly and eagerly await your next visit!!
I completely agree with you on your observations. We have been in the States since Oct 17 and plan to return in January. It is not easy to sleep in different beds all over the country and I had a moment shortly after returning of being completely overwhelmed while standing in Walmart of all the choices for a simple loaf of bread! So sorry for the loss of your baby. Glad you were able to receive good medical care and be with your family. Aren't you glad God saw the big picture and knew what you needed? He is so good! Keeping you all in our prayers as you settle back in to missionary life in Haiti. Keep up the great blogging! Hugs! ~Liz
I've read most of your post but this one is great and I learn a lot. God Bless!
click here the family international
Post a Comment